What is it?
A “Stop the World” event is when somebody on the Team identifies that the engagement is off-course for one reason or another. The FULL Team then works together to find a compromise that is acceptable to all and continues progress towards customer success. By the end of the “Stop the World” event, the team should:
- All be in agreement with the proposed compromise
- Identify actions or changes and owners
- Maintain good Psychological Safety1 among the Team
Why use “Stop the World” events?
- There is an aspect of the engagement that is found to be missing. A key output or outcome that supports customer success.
- A practice or an outcome needs to change based on new customer information. This change is one that would fundamentally change an output or outcome previously agreed to.
- The delivery team skillset changes for any reason that would affect customer success.
- Priority with the customer fundamentally changes the previously agreed direction of the delivery team.
- An previously agreed to input to a practice is not met or will not be met
- Closely related to how agile teams “Swarm” around problems to resolve them quickly
Who do you need?
- Entire Team Involved
- Until Consensus is reached
- Facilitator: Difficult
- Participants: Moderate
Facilitation Materials Needed
- Comfortable setting to hold a conversation among just team members
- Additional needs determined by the team to hold the conversation